Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tennis: a good breathing exercise

I was once singing in the presence of my sister and my friends and when I stopped for a while, my friend told me: "Your nose is red. You are not breathing." I tried singing a bit to check what I was doing wrong. I truly wasn't breathing comfortably. I have no idea how this happened. I obviously was breathing or else I couldn't be singing but I was not doing it at the right time and I was not taking in enough air. In fact, sometimes I feel I am not comfortable breathing generally.

I think that one reason for that is the air condition that dries up one's throat. I always sleep with the air condition on or else I would suffocate considering I live in Dubai! I am exposed to the air condition in the office which chills me to the bones and everywhere I go (malls, cars, nightclubs, stores, supermarkets...) This is very unhealthy but a state I have to endure.

So, recently I was learning to play tennis and I realized that it's a perfect breathing exercise. When you hit the ball, you need energy in your arm, so you hold your breathe for a moment before you release. When you serve, you basically do the same. Hold your breath, focus, hit, exhale... There's also a lot of running to be done as you follow the ball on the court. This sport needs a lot of endurance and stamina, focus and determination, elegance and descipline! An amazing combination. And you need to breathe ~ WOW.

From that day forward, I never "forgot" to breathe again. I am so aware of my breathing now even throughout the day. So, if you are sportive or would like to learn a sport or simply are looking for a breathing exercise, try tennis! ;)

Roger Federer in play - point of contact with the ball - notice him holding his breath


No comments:

Post a Comment