Saturday, October 1, 2011

Le Classique!

It's been a while since I've posted but I've been busy traveling, working and spending quality time with family. And life continues here in Dubai... While commuting to work in my car, on my way back home or when cruising in general, I put on channel no.6 on the car radio which is set to a classical music station. I hadn't set it intentionally but when I don't find any good music on the rest of the stations, I end up listening to channel no. 6, which I recently discovered was Abu Dhabi Classic FM.


The station plays classical pieces, opera and jazz music. I listen to it more often now that it got my attention. I enjoy it because it provides me with the right environment to think, to contemplate thoughts and ideas or just to relax. The music that plays gives me a break from life as I know it; from the hip and the hop. In the evening mostly, jazzy songs play and it's a delight to the ears. Being bombarded with commercial and popular music on the radio, in malls and clubs, which I totally enjoy by the way, there is not much place left for other genres like classical and world music to invade my life. So, it's good to change atmosphere sometimes with novelty to our ears.

What is completely impressive is that classical music specifically and music in general is used in the treatment of clinical despression. Studies have proven that the rhythm raises the level of production of Serotonin, a neurotransmitter, in the brain which maintains pleasant feelings. It's like eating something tasty or smelling a beautiful scent. Moreover, music reaches out straight to one's emotions and does not have to be processed rationally by the mind. It is said that music from the baroque and classical periods has more effect on the mind and body than modern music because of its logical composition.

In short, I believe it is true that music enhances one's performance in other areas of life, based on personal experience. I don't know about you but I personally have to have my dose of music everyday. Turn on the radio sometime, you might just find your type of music playing! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment