Monday, February 7, 2011

A World of Music!

I often think of how fortunate I am to be have been exposed to so many types of music during my life. I have lived in France during my childhood where my parents used to listen to French songs especially the oldies for the likes of Jacques Brel, Francis Cabrel, Alain Souchon, Enrico Macias and countless remarkable artists.

In Lebanon, I got introduced to the oriental rhythms and the Arabic songs and artists. A large part of the oriental music is dance music, which makes it greatly enjoyable! Also, the beauty of the Arabic language is that a lot can be expressed in so many ways because of its rich vocabulary. In Arabic music, there are melodic modes, introductions at the beginning of a song, alternations between solo instruments and full ensembles and many other music structures that are specific and that do not exist in other music genres.

Furthermore, what is interesting in the Arabic music scene is that there's a trend whereby composers use Turkish or Greek music to make a song with Arabic lyrics. That is one phenomenon that made people in the Middle East familiar with music from other neighbouring countries and regions. Lebanon is also the best country to be in to enjoy music from all over the Arab world. Artists, composers and singers from Egypt, Syria, Jordan, the UAE and other GCC countries all showcase their works in Lebanon as it is one of the most diverse and dynamic countries in the Middle East where people appreciate music and arts.

As for Latino music, it's probably a big part of my life and always will be. There's no way to fight back the feeling; I am in love with the Spanish rhythms... I've been under this spell for a long time now, since I watched the movie "Dance with me". The latin dances, the music, the songs, the performances, everything had a mark on me. Latin music is sensual and passionate, colorful and expressive, dramatic and warm. It has a way to get to everyone, everywhere in the world.

When I was growing up, there were a lot of popular bands around like the Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, Westlife,etc. I remember my sister was obsessed with Mariah Carey whose voice I find truly impeccable so we used to listen to her CDs on a daily basis. I personally adored Celine Dion since I first heard her song "Because you loved me". And my mom loved Michael Jackson (May God rest his soul in peace). I listened to his music throughout most of the stages of my life. And now, as the market gets more competitive, more artists are in the American/English music scene and I listen to what appeals to me mostly.

Then comes the amazing house/ trance music that I am addicted to lately as it just pumps me up with so much energy. It has the ability to change my mood, brighten my day, help me endure my workout, give me creative ideas, remind me of good times and simply make me feel alive! I also love Rock bands such as Nickleback, Daughtry, The Script and others.

I cannot forget to mention the famed and monumental lounge/chillout music that transports one to a distinct world of love, ecstasy and spirituality like Buddha Bar compilations by Claude Challe and Cafe del Mar compilations.There are endless forms and genres of music in this world that one has yet to discover. If every country in the world has a specific style of music, then we end up with 195 to enjoy!

I believe what I am trying to say here is that I am glad I had the opportunity to experience all those types of music and many others I haven't mentioned here because they have all taken part in my formation, in making me the person I am today. Everyone must explore the diversity that's around him/her. It's amazing how powerful you will find music to be. It has the power to do so much, create and destroy, in so many different ways. It's important to keep an open mind, an open spirit and an open heart in order to receive the rewards music has to give! It's a world of music out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment